There’s an old adage that says a toothbrush can’t remove six months of plaque from your teeth in 30 minutes. So, in the name of good dental hygiene and periodontal health, we urge everyone to do their dental due diligence by brushing, flossing, and rinsing every day!
Patients who properly take care of their teeth make our job here at Easter Family, Cosmetic & Sports Dentistry much easier. But, regardless of your teeth’s condition, we pride ourselves on administering top-notch, professional services and high-quality dental work. Our mission is for your at-home brushing habits to be an extension of the techniques we use here at the office.
Brushing, Flossing, and More
- We recommend brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing daily. Brushing and flossing help remove bacteria, which lives in your mouth in the form of plaque.
- Plaque accumulates on the teeth as a result of eating acidic, sugary and starchy foods (among others). When left untreated, plaque significantly irritates the gums, causing increased sensitivity, redness and (in severe cases) bleeding. Over time, this can lead to cavities, gingivitis, and periodontal disease.
- To correctly brush your teeth, place your toothbrush against the gums at a forty-five-degree angle and use short strokes to brush gently back and forth. Brush until you make contact with both the inner and outer surfaces of the teeth, and finish with your tongue.
- Next, tear off a generous amount of floss and wrap it around two fingers on opposite hands. Gently guide the string of floss between your teeth until you make contact with the gum line. Then contouring the floss around the tooth, slide up and down until you achieve a squeaky clean feeling. Then, remove and move on to the next tooth. Repeat this process until complete.
- We recommend rinsing with mouthwash or a dentist-approved fluoride wash after you finish brushing and flossing.
If you have any questions about dental hygiene or periodontal health, please contact us today!